Vinyl siding is the most common home exterior for new buildings in the United States. It offers a clean appearance and crisp uniformity that’s hard to find in materials like brick. It’s also very affordable – even the highest quality siding options are doable for most budgets and also offers more customization options, because it is available in a variety of colors and styles. All these facts are common knowledge or simply logical, but there is a lot more to vinyl siding than you may think.
Fun and Surprising Vinyl Siding Facts
Chances are you have vinyl siding on your home. At the very least, you know a friend or family member who does. Even if you see vinyl siding every day, you probably didn’t know:
- Vinyl siding has been around since the 1950s. It started as a less-expensive alternative to aluminum siding.
- More than 30% of houses in the United States have it. That number is even higher among new constructions.
- Vinyl siding is made from polyvinyl chloride. This material is the third most popular among synthetic plastic polymers.
- It’s as much as 2.5 times cheaper than mid-grade cedar clapboard. It’s even more economical than the high-grade options.
- It comes in several thicknesses. The minimum is known as “builder’s grade” and is just 0.35- to 0.40-inch thick. On the opposite end of the spectrum, some options are 0.55-inch thick.
- Vinyl is flexible. It can expand and contract as much as 0.5 inch in either direction. This reduces the chance of damage due to weather fluctuations.
- The average price for is around $5 per square foot.
- Many types of vinyl siding can handle winds in excess of 100 miles per hour.
- Vinyl siding is the lowest-maintenance home exterior choice. Unlike wood, it never requires sanding, painting, or staining. You can clean vinyl with a solution as simple as soap and water.
- Vinyl comes in a wide selection of shades. Everyone has seen tan, but blue, red, orange, and green are options as well. It’s easier to repair. Individual panels can be replaced, whereas other home exterior siding requires extensive reconstruction.
If you’re considering the benefits of vinyl siding for yourself, don’t trust the installation to just anyone. Tri County Windows & Siding is proud to be northern Virginia’s most trusted company. Call us today and see what high-quality labor and materials can do for your home.